Did you know that there is a form of soccer that is played indoors on a hard court? It’s called Futsal, and it’s a popular choice for many because it is typically faster-paced and more exciting than outdoor soccer. In this guide, you will learn all you need to know about the sport, from its origins to the different rules and regulations that come with it.
What is Futsal and Where Was It Created?
Futsal is a variation of soccer that requires 5 players on each side and is played indoors on a hard court. It is typically faster-paced and more exciting than outdoor soccer, making it a popular choice for many. Futsal traces its origins to Montevideo, Uruguay. In the 1930s, a man by the name of Juan Carlos Ceriani created a smaller version of soccer that only required five players on each side. This game was later named Futsal.
The Rules of Futsal – What You Need to Know Before Playing
The rules of Futsal are very similar to those of outdoor soccer, but there are a few key differences that you need to know before playing.
Enclosed below is a list of rules and distinctions for Futsal:
- The ball is smaller and heavier than an outdoor soccer ball
- There are five players on each team instead of eleven (four outfield players and one goalkeeper per side)
- Two halves each twenty (20) minutes in duration with a fifteen (15) minute half-time period
- Each team is entitled to a one (1) minute time-out per half
- There is also no offside rule in Futsal
- In US Youth Futsal, there is no overtime, injury time, or stoppage time. For professional leagues, overtime rules can apply
- The goalkeeper cannot possess the ball for longer than 4 seconds in their own half of the court
- The goalkeeper cannot touch the ball a second time in their own half of the court unless an opponent has touched it prior to the goalkeeper
For more information on the rules for Futsal, check out the US Youth Soccer website for Futsal for US Youth Futsal and the FIFA Futsal Laws of the Game website for professional and FIFA-sanctioned Futsal.
The Futsal Court
The futsal court is much smaller than a soccer field. The surface of a futsal court should be a hard, smooth surface like asphalt, wood, or synthetic materials. The dimensions of a futsal court are 40m x 20m. There is a goal at each end of the court, and the surface of the court is divided into two halves by a center line.
Each half of a futsal court is 20m x 20m. The goals are 3m wide and 2m tall.
In the middle of the futsal court are the center mark and the center circle. The center mark has a diameter of 12cm. Surrounding the center mark is the center circle, which has a 6m diameter.
The Futsal Ball
A futsal ball is a special type of ball that is smaller and heavier than an outdoor soccer ball. It is typically made of leather or synthetic materials, and it has 32 panels. The size of a futsal ball is a circumference of 62-64 cm/24.4-25.2 inches and its weight is 400-440 g/14-15.5 ounces.
The futsal ball is heavier than an outdoor soccer ball, so it doesn’t bounce as much. This makes it easier to control on a hard court surface.
|Size||Age||Circumference (cm)||Weight (g)|
|Select U-9||Under 9||49.5-51.5||260-280|
|IMS & Select||13+||62.0-64.0||400-440|
|Senior (FIFA) Size 4||13+||62.5-63.5||410-430|
How to Play Futsal
If you’re new to Futsal, here is a guide on how to play the game.
Playing Futsal is relatively simple – just like outdoor soccer, the objective is to score more goals than your opponent. There are two teams of five players, and the game is played over two halves of 20 minutes each. You can either play with a normal football or a futsal ball, which is slightly smaller and heavier than an outdoor ball.
The Benefits of Playing Futsal
The benefits of playing Futsal are numerous. Not only is it a fun and exciting sport, but it also helps improve your fitness level, hand-eye coordination, and agility. It is also a great way to socialize and meet new people.
Does Playing Futsal Help Improve Your Soccer Skills
The answer is yes! Futsal is a great way to improve your soccer skills. The fast pace of the game will help you improve your speed and agility, while the smaller ball will help you improve your control and dribbling skills. Plus, the close confines of the playing area will help you learn to think quickly and make split-second decisions. This type of decision-making will transfer over to outdoor soccer.
Playing Futsal will improve your ball handling. Using a smaller ball requires more concentration and precision when trapping, dribbling, passing, and shooting the ball.
So if you want to improve your soccer skills, playing Futsal is a great way to do it!
Futsal is a great sport for all ages. It is fast-paced and exciting, and it provides a great workout. It is also a great way to socialize and meet new people. If you’re looking for a fun and challenging way to improve your soccer skills, Futsal is the perfect
Tips for Improving Your Game
If you want to improve your Futsal skills, here are a few tips:
1. Practice your dribbling skills – this will help you keep the ball under control when you’re under pressure from defenders.
2. Work on your shooting accuracy – this will help you score more goals in games.
3. Practice your passing skills – this will help you distribute the ball around the pitch more efficiently.
4. Stay calm under pressure – this will help you make better decisions when defending or attacking.
5. Always stay alert – this will help you react quickly to any situation that arises on the pitch.
Where to find more information about Futsal
If you want to learn more about Futsal, there are a few resources that you can use:
1. The FIFA website – this is a great place to find out more about the history of the sport and the different rules and regulations that govern it.
2. The US Futsal Federation website – this is a great place to find out more about where you can play Futsal in the United States.
3. The International Futsal Academy website – this is a great place to find out more about training and coaching programs for Futsal players.
4. YouTube – there are lots of great videos about Futsal on YouTube, so be sure to check them out!
Now that you know how to play Futsal, why not give it a try? It’s a great way to improve your soccer skills and have a lot of fun at the same time!